AVALANCHE SKILLS REFRESHER
JOIN US FOR AN ADDITIONAL DAY OF AVALANCHE SKILLS TRAINING IN THE BACKCOUNTRY!
AVALANCHE SKILLS REFRESHER
Learn avalanche skills training and the fundamental skills of winter backcountry travel with the industry-leading expert’s Mountain Skills Academy.
We are a proud ‘Contributor’ to Avalanche Canada and an approved Avalanche Skills Training course provider.
This course is designed to apply the skills learnt in your AST 1 Course as well as practiced within your own time. You will then use these skills in the field to apply them within a group that are taking their AST 1 Course for the first time.
The Avalanche Skills Refresher is not only designed to refresh participants skills but also to encourage them to take the lead within the group at certain parts throughout the day.
The day begins with a review of the pre-test and trip plan that the guide will ask the particpants to complete the night before. The group then decides on a final trip plan. Course participants then go out into avalanche terrain to implement their trip plan. Participants are trained in not only avalanche mitigation but also mountain hazard mitigation.
Participants will be now encouraged to implement their AST 1 skills whilst being overseen by a professional guide giving advice and guidance throughout the course.
- AST1 is a prerequisite
- Touring skis/splitboard required. Rentals available.
- Lift ticket required (discounted lift ticket available through our office)
- Geared for intermediate, advanced and expert skiers or snowboarders
- Participants must be comfortable and confident in intermediate terrain [blue runs] in a variety of snow conditions. If you are unsure of your ability, please contact us for more information.
- Geared for those who want to explore the backcountry further
Lift Ticket: If you do NOT currently possess a valid Whistler Blackcomb lift ticket (Seasons Pass, Spirit Pass, Edge Card, Epic Pass, etc.), you may buy a Lift Ticket through our office at checkout.**All Courses subject to a minimum number of participants. 48 hour notice will be given if the minimum number has not been reached.
8:15am Meet at the Escape Route Alpine Demo Centre for a gear check and trip planning.
8:30am Use the lifts to gain quick access to the backcountry.
4:30pm Ski back to the village and end the day with a quick debrief.
If you require rentals we have teamed up with local rental companies to provide discounted rentals. Visit our rental page HERE for more information!
- Weatherproof shell jacket and pants
- Down or synthetic insulated jacket
- Mid layer fleece top
- Insulating top and bottom under layers and socks
- Warm hat/toque and balaclava
- 2 pairs of gloves
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Lift Pass (If you do not have a season pass or Epic Pass or Edge Card, you can purchase a backcountry ticket from MSAA for $59)
- Backpack-25-35 Litres
- Alpine touring skis/splitboard, skins, bindings, and boots
- Avalanche Safety Kit (transceiver, shovel, probe)
- First Aid Kit with blister kit
- Rite in the Rain notebook and pencil (optional)
- Map, compass, GPS (optional)
- Lunch, snacks, and water
- Trip Planning
- Trailhead Procedures
- Companion Rescue
- Situational Awareness
- Terrain Selection and Travel Techniques
- Snowpack and/or Avalanche Observations
- Snowpack Tests
- Avalanche Terrain Descent
The important details:
Season: Nov – Apr
Duration: 1 Day (8:30am – 4:30pm)
Location: Whistler & Sea to Sky
Max Ratio: 8 Clients to 1 Guide
Prerequisites: AST 1
Price: $159/per person
ADVANCED BACKCOUNTRY CLINIC
The one-day clinic allows participants adequate time to develop autonomous leadership through learning and implementing critical strategies…
Avalanche Skills Training 2
Our Avalanche Skills Training Level 2 course teaches managing and mitigating avalanche and mountain hazards.