EXPERT BACKCOUNTRY CLINIC
THE FINAL PROGRESSION TOWARDS EXPERT LEVEL SKILLS.
EXPERT BACKCOUNTRY CLINIC
- AST 2 or equivalent experience
- Intermediate to advanced backcountry ski/board skills & experience
- Crevasse Rescue & Glacier Travel Skills-refreshed and good to go
- Snowpack testing (Compression Test) and any others you know, refreshed and good to go
- Current avalanche problem and current layers with name/type/depth noted
- Companion Rescue skills clinic or equivalent refreshed and good to go
- Good fitness
This clinic is designed to perfect crevasse rescue, snowpack testing and companion rescue to the expert level. The clinic is divided into three segments:
- Advanced Crevasse Rescue: 2 person rescue, travel and self-rescue
- Advanced snowpack tests: Extended Column/Saw Propagation/Hand Shear and others
- Advanced Companion Rescue: Multiple, deep and close burial scenario’s
Lift Ticket: If you do NOT currently possess a valid Whistler Blackcomb lift ticket (Seasons Pass, Spirit Pass, Edge Card, Epic Pass, etc.), you may buy a Lift Ticket through our office at checkout.**All Courses subject to a minimum number of participants. 48 hour notice will be given if the minimum number has not been reached.
Day 1: will be held in Whislter heading into complex terrain beyond the resort. Meet at Escape Route Alpine Demo Centre for 8:15am sharp!
Homework & Pre-Trip Planning:
Participants are provided the next day’s location and asked to construct a pre-trip plan utilizing the MSAA Trip Planner, Avalanche Forecast, Weather and other recommended resources with a maximum exercise target time of 30 minutes to finalize the plan.
Morning Meeting & Day Plan:
Participants meet, go through this day’s avalanche hazard, snow conditions and the trip plan with a maximum meeting target time of 30 minutes. The day is organized as a mission, with the participants fulfilling the mission’s objectives such as testing the snowpack, finding the best snow and slope, confirming a slope is safe to ski down, recognizing changes in conditions and so forth.
If you require rentals we have teamed up with local rental companies to provide discounted rentals. Visit our rental page HERE for more information!
Clothing (Dress appropriately for the conditions):
- Weatherproof shell jacket and pants
- Down or synthetic insulated jacket
- Mid layer fleece top
- Insulating top and bottom under layers and socks
- Warm hat/toque and balaclava
- 2 pairs of gloves
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Lift Pass
- Backpack-25-35 Litres
- Alpine touring skis/splitboard, skins, bindings, and boots
- Avalanche Safety Kit (transceiver, shovel, probe)
- First Aid Kit with blister kit
- Rite in the Rain notebook and pencil (optional)
- Map, compass, GPS (optional)
- Lunch, snacks, and water
Course Topics Covered:
- Advanced Crevasse Rescue: is a specialized skillset of critical skills for groups consisting of only 2. Participants build of existing crevasse rescue to learn how to arrest a crevasse fall and build an anchor while in arrest position. As well as strategies for when it may be difficult to move after arresting the fall to build the anchor because of sliding down into the crevasse. As well hauling with increased advantage/pulleys/self-rescue and two person glacier travel techniques are introduced and practiced.
- Advanced Snowpack testing: Strategic snowpack testing and tests are introduced and practiced such as Extended Column/Saw Propagation/Hand Shear/Opportunistic tests (cornice cutting/ski cutting/small convex roll cutting/up-track cut/pole penetration test.
- Advanced Companion Rescue: Building on companion rescue skills, participants now refine these skills with learning techniques and practice for dealing with deep burials, close burials, which is when buried persons are close causing transceiver signals to overlap. As well as multiple burial response and the new Strike Team Shoveling technique.
The important details:
Season: Nov – Apr
Duration: 1 Day (8:30am – 4:30pm)
Max Ratio: 6 Clients to 1 Guide
Prerequisites: See Clinic Details
Price: $199/per person | $749/private (up to 8ppl)
This is a fast-paced course that takes backcountry skiers and snowboarders to the next level – winter ski mountaineering.
CREVASSE RESCUE & GLACIER TRAVEL
For backcountry skiers & splitboarders to learn efficient, effective, light and fast crevasse rescue systems.