Per Person: $325
Private (up to 6 People): $1899
Use your skis to adventure further than ever before!
Duration: 2 Days
Prerequisites: AST1, Backcountry Experience, Crevasse Rescue is an asset
This is a fast-paced course that takes backcountry skiers and snowboarders to the next level – winter ski mountaineering. With acres of complex terrain and big peaks easily accessible from the highway, the Coast Mountains are an ideal location to learn about ski mountaineering.
The first day is an intensive skills day where we introduce ski mountaineering techniques and skills. The second day is spent ski mountaineering. Each day skills will be practiced and fine-tuned.
At course completion, participants will have an excellent foundation for ski mountaineering.
Ski mountaineering is both an alpine and backcountry ski activity. Guaranteeing our course participants the highest level of expertise, only fully certified IFMGA/ACMG Mountain and Ski Guides teach this course.
**All Courses subject to a minimum number of participants. 48 hour notice will be given if the minimum number has not been reached.
Day 1: Meet the guide at 8:15am at the Escape Route Alpine Demo Centre. The guide have everyone sign a waiver before leading a discussion about the current weather and avalanche conditions, the day's objectives, and perform an equipment check. The group will then head up the mountain.
The day will end at approximately 4:30pm with a debrief of the day as well as a lesson on how to create a ski mountaineering route plan as well as a discussion on the next day’s weather, avalanche forecasts and mountain conditions.
Day 2: Meet the guide at 8:15am at the Escape Route Alpine Demo Centre. The guide have everyone sign a waiver before leading a discussion about the current weather and avalanche conditions, the day's objectives, and perform an equipment check. The group will then head up the mountain.
The day will end at approximately 4:30pm with a debrief of the day, a course debrief, a Question and Answer and discussion of the next steps for all students.
If you require rentals or need to purchase equipment, we have teamed up with the experts at the Escape Route Alpine Demo Centre. Follow the link HERE to purchase or rent gear for this course!
- Insulated top and bottom under layers and socks
- Mid layer fleece top
- Weatherproof shell jacket and pants
- Warm hat, optional balaclava or neck tube
- 2 pairs of gloves, optional mittens
- Goggles, sunglasses and sunscreen
- Touring skis / splitboard, skins & Poles
- Ski Crampons
- Avalanche Safety Kit (probe, transceiver, shovel)
- Mountaineering Axe
- 3 locking carabiners
- 4 non-locking carabiners
- 2 x 5m 7mm prussik
- 1 auto-block device (ATC Guide)
- 1 double length sling
- 1 x 22cm ice screw
- 0.5m personal prussik
- 50 meter ski touring rope
- Minimal alpine rock rack; 2-3 cams, 3-4 stoppers- 4 shoulder length draws
- Rite in the Rain notebook and mechanical pencil
- First aid kit with blister kit
- Glop stopper
- Ski scraper
- Map, compass, GPS, laptop computer (all optional)
- Introduction to ski mountaineering equipment
- Belaying and rappelling, anchors
- Ski mountaineering objective
- Glacier travel & alpine hazard evaluation
- “Survival skiing” technique
Click HERE for the full curriculum