Wilderness First Responder – (80 Hours)
Per Person: $999
The most practical first aid course for all backcountry users and outdoor professionals!
Duration: 8 Days
Prerequisites: Minimum age: 16
The definitive wilderness course in medical training, leadership, and critical thinking for outdoor, low-resource, and remote professionals and leaders. This is the nationally recognized certification course. It is respected as a standard for many outdoor guiding industry leaders.
Wilderness First Responder is designed for search and rescue personnel and outdoor professionals working in remote settings and those requiring a solid foundation in wilderness pre-hospital emergency care. Course curriculum is at the level of the Emergency Medical Responder with an emphasis on prevention, practical skills, decision making and dealing with environmental conditions.
In addition to reviewing material covered in the 40-hour program, this course covers traumatic injuries, incident command, long-term patient care, leader responsibility and liability, advanced first aid kits, wound cleaning, evacuation procedures, helicopter safety, altitude, search and rescue, and working with Emergency Medical Services. The program includes CPR/AED for the Health Care Provider.
Certification is valid for three years. To recertify this course, you must take a Bridge to Wilderness First Responder course (50 hours) before the expiry date on your card.
- Students must be at least 16 years old to participate in this course. Those under 19 years of age will require the written consent of a parent or guardian.
- 100% participation is required to pass this course.
- Majority of the course is spent outdoors. Please be prepared for all weather conditions.
- It is encouraged for your to bring your own first aid/guide’s pack, if you have one.
- There may be some take home exercises during the course.
This course is scheduled for 8 days or 80 hours of instructional and practice time.
Certification is valid for three years.
- Day 1: 8:30am-5:30pm
- Day 2: 8:30am-5:30pm +6pm-10pm
- Day 3: 9am-6pm
- Day 4: 8:30am-5:30pm + 6pm-10pm
- Day 5: 9am-7pm
- Day 6: 8:30am-5:30pm
- Day 7: 8:30am-5:30pm + 6pm-10pm
- Day 8: 9:00am-6:00pm
All teaching materials will be at no additional cost.
Students will receive the following books on this course:
- Wilderness and Rescue Medicine: A Practical Guide for the Basic and Advanced Practitioner
- The Field Guide of Wilderness and Rescue Medicine
- Wilderness Medicine Workbook
- Wilderness First Responder Class Notes
- SOAP Notebook
For the practicum outdoor training, please prepare for any weather conditions.
Students can use their own outdoor gear so as to be familiar with the equipment that will be available to them in a real world first aid situation.
Things to bring:
- Comfortable clothing
- Weatherproof outerwear for the outdoors portion of the course. Please check the weather forecast each day and dress appropriately.
- Pen/pencil and notebook (recommended)
- First Aid/Guide’s pack if you have one
Click HERE for the full Course Curriculum