Intro to Multi-Pitch Climbing
Price: $189 per person
Looking to move on from single-pitch and climb higher?
Prerequisites: Previous Climbing Experience
This fast paced and fully comprehensive 1-day course includes many critical lessons for safe multi-pitch climbing technique. This course is designed for climbers with previous basic outdoor or indoor climbing experience who wish to learn the complete set of multi-pitch rock climbing skills and advanced technique.
ADVENTURE DETAILS BELOW...
MAKE A BOOKING
Public Course Dates:
All public courses are now finished for the 2020 Summer season. If you are still interested in booking a Private Guide please contact us.
We begin by reviewing all the essentials:
- Movement skills
- Belaying and rappelling
- Safety protocols
- Rock climbing terminology
- Route selection and climbing grades
We then move into the fundamental skills for Multi-Pitch rock climbing:
- Multi-pitch theory
- Risk mitigation and hazard management
- Route selection
- Gear requirements and the multi-pitch backpack
- Racking techniques
- Belay considerations
- Ascending and descending strategies
Forming a powerful foundation we then move onto further advanced skills that provide the efficiency needed to complete multi-pitch routes in a timely manner.
Such skills as:
- Advanced rope management
- Specialized belaying techniques
- Rapid leader transitions
The result is a sound foundation, a safe and effective technique, and efficient multi-pitch transitions for speedy ascents and descents. All this is geared towards making you into an independent multi-pitch climber who has the skills to progress rapidly.
8:15am: Meet your guide at Squamish Adventure Centre.
The guide will have everyone sign a waiver before having a safety discussion and performing a gear check. They will then discuss the day's objectives and lesson plan.
4:30pm: The day will end at approximately 4:30pm with a debrief, discussion of the course and next step recommendations.
If you require rentals or need to purchase equipment, we have teamed up with the experts at the Escape Route Alpine Demo Centre. Follow the link HERE to purchase or rent gear for this course!
- Rock climbing shoes
- Belay device
- Locking carabiners
- Chalk bag
- Anchor building equipment
Clothing (Plan ahead, check the weather forecast, and dress accordingly):
- Climbing pants (light pants that allow maximum mobility)
- Mid layer fleece or wool top
- Weatherproof shell jacket
- Down or synthetic insulating “puffy” jacket
- Warm hat
- Light gloves
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Approach shoes
- Daypack 25-35L
Weather conditions along the Coast Mountain Range are constantly changing. Plan ahead, look into weather trends, and prepare for all weather conditions.
- Environment & on site safety
- Introduction to multi-pitch theory
- Gear Requirements
- Route Selection
- Securing Yourself
- Lead belaying and top-down belaying
- Racking up for a multi-pitch
- Multi-pitch communication and commands
- Efficient leader switch-overs
- Rope drag reduction technique
- Advanced rope management
- Advanced safety techniques
- Mentoring day climbing up and descending a multi-pitch training route
Click HERE for the full curriculum
Get a taste of the world class climbing crags of the Sea to Sky Corridor!
Learn the technical aspects of a complex rope rescue to help yourself, your partner or an adjacent party half way up a multi-pitch route.