WBS - Advanced Backcountry Skills Clinic
Per Person: $259
Duration: 1 Day
Prerequisites: Strong Intermediate Skiing/Boarding Level
The Advanced Backcountry Skills Clinic is designed help refine your technique and further develop your backcountry decision making skills. Effective track-setting and terrain management, snowpack assessment and testing, uphill & downhill risk management technique.
This course is developed around skiers and splitboarders who have been out in the backcountry a number of times and are looking to refine their movement skills, sharpen their risk assessment abilities, and overall, make themselves greater assets to their touring partners. Ideally, you have already completed your AST1 course or have comparable touring experience.
It is important that you to have intermediate to advanced ski or splitboarding skills in various conditions and are in good physical shape. It’s advantageous to have your own backcountry equipment and be well-versed in its function.
The price of this clinic does NOT include the cost of a lift ticket to get up the mountain on the clinic day. This can be purchased from MSAA if you do not have a season pass.
Meet at the Escape Route Alpine Demo Centre for introductions, the morning avalanche and conditions meeting, and a thorough gear check.
Head up the gondola and out into the backcountry for an entire day of skills development. Join your touring group at HUNTER GATHER at the end-of-the-day for a clinic debrief over a FREE BEER!
- Weatherproof shell jacket and pants
- Down or synthetic insulated jacket
- Mid layer fleece top
- Insulating top and bottom under layers and socks
- Warm hat/toque and balaclava
- 2 pairs of gloves
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Lift Pass (If you do not have a season pass or Epic Pass or Edge Card, you can purchase a backcountry ticket from MSAA for $59)
- Backpack-25-35 Litres*
- Alpine touring skis/splitboard, skins, bindings, and boots*
- Avalanche Safety Kit (transceiver, shovel, probe)*
- First Aid Kit with blister kit
- Rite in the Rain notebook and pencil (optional)
- Map, compass, GPS (optional)
- Lunch, snacks, and water
*This can be rented from Escape Route Alpine Demo Centre.
The Women’s Advanced Backcountry Clinic has not been finalized. Want your say? Visit The Women’s Backcountry Series facebook group and let us know what skills you would like to see included in the clinic.