WBS - Companion Rescue Skills Clinic
Per Person: $159
Private (up to 6 People): $849
Duration: 1 Day
Prerequisites: Ski Touring
Review, refresh, and build upon your avalanche safety knowledge. Practice your companion rescue skills and advance beyond the scope of AST1 by learning how to deal with multiple burials, close-proximity multiple burials, deep burials, co-ordinate group rescues, and search without transceivers. Discussion topics also include airbags, new shovelling techniques, and avalanche incident triage.
Just the thing to step up your skills and gain confidence in the backcountry. The program is designed to give ladies a chance to advance their skills in a safe & supportive learning environment. Spend the day with a guide who will teach you the most up-to-date Search and Rescue techniques to make you a more valuable member of your touring party. We go beyond the basic rescue skills you already know and cover topics that your AST1 did not.
It is not mandatory to have taken Avalanche Skills Training Level 1 (AST1) before taking this course but it is highly recommended.
**The price of the tour does not include a gondola ticket. Gondola tickets are available for purchase through our office.**
**All Courses subject to a minimum number of participants. 48 hour notice will be given if the minimum number has not been reached.
8:15am – Meet at the Escape Route Alpine Demo Centre for a gear check and trip planning.
8:30am – Use the lifts to gain quick access to the backcountry.
4pm (approximately) – Ski back to the village and end the day with a debrief at HUNTER GATHER (and a free beer or cider!)
If you require rentals or need to purchase equipment, we have teamed up with the experts at the Escape Route Alpine Demo Centre. Follow the link HERE to purchase or rent gear for this course!
- Weatherproof shell jacket and pants
- Down or synthetic insulated jacket
- Mid layer fleece top
- Insulating top and bottom under layers and socks
- Warm hat/toque and balaclava
- 2 pairs of gloves
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Lift Pass (If you do not have a season pass or Epic Pass or Edge Card, you can purchase a backcountry ticket from MSAA for $59)
- Backpack-25-35 Litres
- Alpine touring skis/splitboard, skins, bindings, and boots
- Avalanche Safety Kit (transceiver, shovel, probe)
- First Aid Kit with blister kit
- Rite in the Rain notebook and pencil (optional)
- Map, compass, GPS (optional)
- Lunch, snacks, and water
- Preventative measures
- Prioritization of actions in the event of an avalanche
- Transceiver functions & limitations
- Advanced search techniques
- Multiple burial situations
- Deep burial situations
- Searching without a transceiver
- Newest shovelling/excavation protocols
- Avalanche airbag discussion
- Post-incident considerations
Click HERE for the full curriculum