Women's Intro to Multi-pitch Climbing
Setting your Aims Higher? Get The skills to climb the likes of the chief & star chek.
What is the WRCS?
THE WOMEN’S ROCK CLIMBING SERIES aims to provide the adventurous women of the Sea to Sky region with the means to develop and progress their climbing skills in a supportive, mentorship-styled learning environment.
This fast paced and fully comprehensive 1-day course includes many critical lessons for safe multi-pitch climbing. This course is designed for climbers with previous basic outdoor climbing experience. Combine this course with the 1-day Rock Rescue to set yourself up for a safe and informed progression into multi-pitch terrain.
We begin by reviewing all the essentials:
- Movement skills
- Belaying and rappelling
- Safety protocols
- Rock climbing terminology
- Trad climbing basics
- Safe anchors
We then move into the fundamental skills for Multi-Pitch rock climbing:
- Multi-pitch theory
- Risk mitigation and hazard management
- Route selection
- Gear requirements and the multi-pitch backpack
- Racking techniques
- Belay considerations
- Ascending and descending strategies
- Building trad anchors and tree anchors
Forming a powerful foundation we then move onto further advanced skills that provide the efficiency needed to complete multi-pitch routes in a timely manner.
Such skills as:
- Advanced rope management
- Specialized belaying techniques
- Rapid leader transitions
8:30am: Meet your guide at Squamish Adventure Centre.
The guide will have everyone sign a waiver before having a safety discussion and performing a gear check. They will then discuss the day's objectives and lesson plan.
4:30pm: The day will end at approximately 4:30pm with a debrief, discussion of the course and next step recommendations.
If you require rentals or need to purchase equipment, we have teamed up with the experts at the Escape Route Alpine Demo Centre. Follow the link HERE to purchase or rent gear for this course!
- Rock climbing shoes
- Belay device (with 1 locking carabiner)
- Prusik 1.5-1.7m, 7mm
- Anchor building equipment (2 locking carabiners, 2 non-locking carabiners & 120cm or 240cm sling)
- Chalk bag
If you do not have any climbing gear you can rent a Rock Climbing Essentials package for $5.00.
Clothing (Plan ahead, check the weather forecast, and dress accordingly):
- Climbing pants (light pants that allow maximum mobility)
- Mid layer fleece or wool top
- Weatherproof shell jacket
- Down or synthetic insulating “puffy” jacket
- Warm hat
- Light gloves
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Approach shoes
- Daypack 25-35L
- Environment & on site safety
- Introduction to multi-pitch theory
- Gear Requirements
- Route Selection
- Securing Yourself
- Lead belaying and top-down belaying
- Racking up for a multi-pitch
- Multi-pitch communication and commands
- Efficient leader switch-overs
- Rope drag reduction technique
- Advanced rope management
- Advanced safety techniques
- Mentoring day climbing up and descending a multi-pitch training route
Click HERE for the full curriculum
The important details:
Season: May – October
Duration: 1 Day (8:30am – 4:30pm)
Max Ratio: 6 Clients to 1 Guide
Prerequisites: Previous Climbing Experience
Price: $189/per person
Women's Rock Rescue
As a climber, one needs to be self-sufficient in a high angle climbing environment and rope rescue skills are critical.
Women's Advanced Trad Clinic
Trad climbing, or traditional rock climbing, is the original style of rock climbing in which climbers set and remove their protection as they climb.