Women's Companion Rescue Skills Clinic - Whistler
Per Person: $159
Private (up to 6 People): $749
Review, refresh, and build upon your avalanche safety knowledge.
Duration: 1 Day
Fitness Level: Good
What is the WBS?
THE WOMEN’S BACKCOUNTRY SERIES is a program designed to provide the wonderful women of Whistler with the knowledge, mentorship, and community support necessary to ski & splitboard safely in the backcountry. The WBS is presented by MOUNTAIN SKILLS ACADEMY, in partnership with THE ESCAPE ROUTE, and HUNTER GATHER.
Review, refresh, and build upon your avalanche safety knowledge. Practice your companion rescue skills and advance beyond the scope of AST1 by learning how to deal with multiple burials, close-proximity multiple burials, deep burials, co-ordinate group rescues, and search without transceivers. Discussion topics also include airbags, new shovelling techniques, and avalanche incident triage.
CLINIC DETAILS BELOW...
MAKE A BOOKING
HOW TO BOOK:
- Choose the best clinic date for you using our booking system.
- Clinic Location: This tour is located on Whister Blackcomb and you will require a lift ticket to complete the course.
Dates coming soon…
Book a Private Clinic and have a guide to yourself!
Just the thing to step up your skills and gain confidence in the backcountry. The program is designed to give ladies a chance to advance their skills in a safe & supportive learning environment. Spend the day with a guide who will teach you the most up-to-date Search and Rescue techniques to make you a more valuable member of your touring party. We go beyond the basic rescue skills you already know and cover topics that your AST1 did not.
It is not mandatory to have taken Avalanche Skills Training Level 1 (AST1) before taking this course but it is highly recommended.
Lift Ticket: A lift ticket is required for this course.**All Courses subject to a minimum number of participants. 48 hour notice will be given if the minimum number has not been reached.
8:15am – Meet at the Escape Route Alpine Demo Centre for a gear check and trip planning.
8:30am – Use the lifts to gain quick access to the backcountry.
4pm (approximately) – Ski back to the village and end the day with a debrief at HUNTER GATHER (and a free beer or cider!)
If you require rentals or need to purchase equipment, we have teamed up with the experts at the Escape Route Alpine Demo Centre. Follow the link HERE to purchase or rent gear for this course!
- Weatherproof shell jacket and pants
- Down or synthetic insulated jacket
- Mid layer fleece top
- Insulating top and bottom under layers and socks
- Warm hat/toque and balaclava
- 2 pairs of gloves
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Lift Pass
- Backpack-25-35 Litres
- Alpine touring skis/splitboard, skins, bindings, and boots
- Avalanche Safety Kit (transceiver, shovel, probe)
- First Aid Kit with blister kit
- Rite in the Rain notebook and pencil (optional)
- Map, compass, GPS (optional)
- Lunch, snacks, and water
- Preventative measures
- Prioritization of actions in the event of an avalanche
- Transceiver functions & limitations
- Advanced search techniques
- Multiple burial situations
- Deep burial situations
- Searching without a transceiver
- Newest shovelling/excavation protocols
- Avalanche airbag discussion
- Post-incident considerations
Click HERE for the full curriculum
Avalanche Skills Training 2
Well regarded as Whistler’s leading avalanche skills educator, MSAA provides an exceptional Avalanche Skills Training Level 2 (AST 2) Course.
Women ‘s Advanced Backcountry Skills Clinic – Whistler
The Advanced Backcountry Skills Clinic is designed help refine your technique and further develop your backcountry decision making skills.