Avalanche Skills Refresher
Per Person: $159
Join us for an additional day of avalanche skills training in the backcountry!
Duration: 1 Day
Prerequisites: AST 1
This one day avalanche skills refresher course builds on the skills and concepts learned during AST 1 in a hands-on practical environment. This is a highly recommended follow up to the AST 1 course.
This course is an ideal refresher you did the AST1 course a while ago, are not quite ready for AST 2, or if you just want to brush up on your skills before heading into the backcountry.
The day begins with a review of the pre-test and trip plan and overnight changes. The group then decides on a final trip plan. Course participants then go out into avalanche terrain to implement their trip plan. Participants are trained in not only avalanche mitigation but also mountain hazard mitigation. Participants will now be taught how to implement their newly acquired AST 1 skills.
- AST1 is a prerequisite
- AST1 is a prerequisite
- Touring skis/splitboard required. Rentals available.
- Lift ticket required (discounted lift ticket available through our office)
- Geared for intermediate, advanced and expert skiers or snowboarders
- Participants must be comfortable and confident in intermediate terrain [blue runs] in a variety of snow conditions. If you are unsure of your ability, please contact us for more information.
- Geared for those who want to explore the backcountry
8:15am Meet at the Escape Route Alpine Demo Centre for a gear check and trip planning.
8:30am Use the lifts to gain quick access to the backcountry.
4:30pm Ski back to the village and end the day with a quick debrief.
- Weatherproof shell jacket and pants
- Down or synthetic insulated jacket
- Mid layer fleece top
- Insulating top and bottom under layers and socks
- Warm hat/toque and balaclava
- 2 pairs of gloves
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Lift Pass (If you do not have a season pass or Epic Pass or Edge Card, you can purchase a backcountry ticket from MSAA for $59)
- Backpack-25-35 Litres*
- Alpine touring skis/splitboard, skins, bindings, and boots*
- Avalanche Safety Kit (transceiver, shovel, probe)*
- First Aid Kit with blister kit
- Rite in the Rain notebook and pencil (optional)
- Map, compass, GPS (optional)
- Lunch, snacks, and water
*This can be rented from Escape Route Alpine Demo Centre.
- Trip Planning
- Trailhead Procedures
- Companion Rescue
- Situational Awareness
- Terrain Selection and Travel Techniques
- Snowpack and/or Avalanche Observations
- Snowpack Tests
- Avalanche Terrain Descent