Avalanche Skills Refresher
Per Person: $159
Join us for an additional day of avalanche skills training in the backcountry!
Duration: 1 Day
Fitness Level: Good
Well regarded as Whistler’s leading avalanche skills educator, MSAA provides an exceptional Avalanche Skills Refresher course.
This one day avalanche skills refresher course builds on the skills and concepts learned during AST 1 in a hands-on practical environment. This is a highly recommended follow up to the AST 1 course.
COURSE DETAILS BELOW...
MAKE A BOOKING
HOW TO BOOK:
- Choose the best date for you using our booking system.
This course is designed to apply the skills learnt in your AST 1 Course as well as practiced within your own time. You will then use these skills in the field to apply them within a group that are taking their AST 1 Course for the first time.
The Avalanche Skills Refresher is not only designed to refresh participants skills but also to encourage them to take the lead within the group at certain parts throughout the day.
The day begins with a review of the pre-test and trip plan that the guide will ask the particpants to complete the night before. The group then decides on a final trip plan. Course participants then go out into avalanche terrain to implement their trip plan. Participants are trained in not only avalanche mitigation but also mountain hazard mitigation.
Participants will be now encouraged to implement their AST 1 skills whilst being overseen by a professional guide giving advice and guidance throughout the course.
- AST1 is a prerequisite
- Touring skis/splitboard required. Rentals available.
- Lift ticket required (discounted lift ticket available through our office)
- Geared for intermediate, advanced and expert skiers or snowboarders
- Participants must be comfortable and confident in intermediate terrain [blue runs] in a variety of snow conditions. If you are unsure of your ability, please contact us for more information.
- Geared for those who want to explore the backcountry further
8:15am Meet at the Escape Route Alpine Demo Centre for a gear check and trip planning.
8:30am Use the lifts to gain quick access to the backcountry.
4:30pm Ski back to the village and end the day with a quick debrief.
If you require rentals or need to purchase equipment, we have teamed up with the experts at the Escape Route Alpine Demo Centre. Follow the link HERE to purchase or rent gear for this course!
- Weatherproof shell jacket and pants
- Down or synthetic insulated jacket
- Mid layer fleece top
- Insulating top and bottom under layers and socks
- Warm hat/toque and balaclava
- 2 pairs of gloves
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Lift Pass (If you do not have a season pass or Epic Pass or Edge Card, you can purchase a backcountry ticket from MSAA for $59)
- Backpack-25-35 Litres
- Alpine touring skis/splitboard, skins, bindings, and boots
- Avalanche Safety Kit (transceiver, shovel, probe)
- First Aid Kit with blister kit
- Rite in the Rain notebook and pencil (optional)
- Map, compass, GPS (optional)
- Lunch, snacks, and water
- Trip Planning
- Trailhead Procedures
- Companion Rescue
- Situational Awareness
- Terrain Selection and Travel Techniques
- Snowpack and/or Avalanche Observations
- Snowpack Tests
- Avalanche Terrain Descent
Avalanche Skills Training 2
Our Avalanche Skills Training Level 2 course teaches managing and mitigating avalanche and mountain hazards.
Foundation Backcountry Clinic
A “fast-track” clinic specifically designed to take one’s introductory skills to the next level!