INTRO TO BACKCOUNTRY SKI & SPLITBOARDING
SAFETY AND LEARNING ARE THE FOCUS, PLUS GETTING INTO SOME GORGEOUS UNTRACKED SNOW!
INTRO TO BACKCOUNTRY SKI & SPLITBOARDING
Want to try exploring the backcountry? Spend the day with one of our professional guides while learning a variety of skills and techniques for safe, efficient travel through the mountains.
Book online or contact our office to ask any questions: 1-604-938-9242 or email@example.com
This is a fun and educational day in the backcountry adjacent to Whistler Blackcomb. Among the many skills to which you will be introduced are basic avalanche rescue, terrain analysis, track setting, uphill and downhill skiing technique, route finding, tree skiing and trip planning. We spend a full day skiing and riding while covering uphill and downhill travel, equipment use and safety awareness.
With no previous experience or training required, this first step will show you what exists beyond the resort. Our team will share their passion over a day focused on safety and fun.
- Avalanche safety equipment is not included (transceiver, shovel, probe)
- Touring skis/splitboard required.
- Geared for skiers and snowboarders who are ready to step beyond the resort but have little or no backcountry experience. For those with previous backcountry experience we reccomend booking Whistler Backcountry Ski & Splitboard Tour.
- Participants must be comfortable and confident in intermediate terrain [blue runs] in a variety of snow conditions. If you are unsure of your ability, please contact us for more information.
- Groups can expect 2 – 4 runs for the day, depending on ability and fitness level
- Transportation is not included.
Lift Ticket: If you do NOT currently possess a valid Whistler Blackcomb lift ticket (Seasons Pass, Spirit Pass, Edge Card, Epic Pass, etc.), you may buy a Lift Ticket through our office at checkout.**All Courses subject to a minimum number of participants. 48 hour notice will be given if the minimum number has not been reached.
The guide will get everyone to sign a waiver and perform a gear check before a trip briefing on safety and the day’s objectives.
Take Whistler or Blackcomb Lifts read to start day:
- Equipment setup boots, skins and ski’s/board for touring
- Trailhead procedures with transceiver
- Companion rescue review
- How to efficiently walk up hill in touring mode
- Terrain choice and limitations depending on hazards
Uphill terrain selection and track-setting:
- Safe terrain selection and efficient uptrack.
- How to evaluate a slope
- Maintain situational awareness
Downhill safe terrain choice and technique:
- Use Slope Avlauator to choose a run appropriate to conditions.
- Efficient transition from touring to skiing mode. Care of skins, transition routine.
- How to best ski the run
- Where and when to regroup safely
The day will finish at approximately 4:30pm with a debrief. The guide will also suggest what to do next to further your backcountry knowledge and abilities.
MSAA Loyalty Program: Following the AST-1 Course all students will be added to the MSAA loyalty program. All students will receive a 10% discount on any future course with MSAA. Following the AST-1 Course we reccomend all students take the AST-2 course within the next 1-2 seasons. For more information contact our office.
If you require rentals we have teamed up with local rental companies to provide discounted rentals. Visit our rental page HERE for more information!
- Touring skis / splitboard and skins
- Avalanche safety equipment (transceiver, shovel, probe)
- Ski / snowboard boots (your regular boots will work with the touring bindings)
- Lift pass
- Weatherproof shell jacket and pants – dress for a day in the alpine
- Warm layers (fleece or puffy jacket)
- Thermal under layer
- Winter hat/toque
- Goggles and/or sunglasses
- Water (1 litre)
- Lunch and snacks
The important details:
Season: Nov – Apr
Duration: 1 Day (8:30am – 4:30pm)
Max Ratio: 6 Clients to 1 Guide
Prerequisites: Average Fitness & Intermediate Skier
Price: $159/per person | $689/private (up to 6ppl)
Request Alternative Dates:
Have a date in mind that is not available to book? Request an alternative date and if we have more than 3 participants interested we will open the date.
Foundation Backcountry Clinic
A “fast-track” clinic specifically designed to take one’s introductory skills to the next level!
AVALANCHE SKILLS TRAINING 1
Industry leading Avalanche Skills Training course that introduces the fundamentals critical to safe backcountry travel.