Advanced Wilderness First Aid – (40 Hours)
Per Person: $505
Advanced Wilderness First Aid is comprehensive medical training designed for remote professionals or wilderness leaders who venture into remote and challenging environments.
Duration: 4 Days
Prerequisites: Minimum age: 16
Advanced Wilderness First Aid is a four-day comprehensive medical training designed for outdoor professionals or wilderness leaders who venture into the remote backcountry and challenging environments.The course is taught by professional instructors with significant patient care and backcountry experience.
For more information regarding Course Covid-19 procedures CLICK HERE
This course has become a minimum standard for outdoor professionals who work in a wilderness setting. Course content extends far beyond urban-based first aid programs to include elements inherent in working on remote sites beyond the reach of Emergency Medical Services.
WFA theory and practice, with a special emphasis on accident scene management, group leadership, rescuer responsibility and liability, prevention of injuries, advanced first aid kits, wound management and managing the trauma victim.
Certification is valid for three years. To recertify this course, you must take a Wilderness First Aid (20 hours) before the expiry date on your card.
- Students must be at least 16 years old to participate in this course. Those under 19 years of age will require the written consent of a parent or guardian.
- 100% participation is required to pass this course.
- Majority of the course is spent outdoors. Please be prepared for all weather conditions.
- It is encouraged for your to bring your own first aid/guide’s pack, if you have one.
- There may be some take home exercises during the course.
This course is scheduled for 4 days or 40 hours of instructional and practice time.
Upon successful completion students will receive certification in Wilderness Advanced First Aid and Adult CPR.
Certification is valid for three years.
- Day 1 – 8:00am to 5:00pm + 6pm-10pm
- Day 2 – 8:00am to 5:00pm
- Day 3 – 8:00am to 5:00pm + 6pm-10pm
- Day 4 – 8:00am to 5:00pm
Almost half of the course hours are devoted to practical activities.
- 1. The Field Guide of Wilderness Medicine & Rescue
- 2. SOAP Notebook
- 3. The Outward Bound Wilderness First-Aid Handbook
- 4. Wilderness Advanced First Aid Class Notes
Not Included: Transportation, Food.
All teaching materials will be at no additional cost.
Students will receive the following books on this course:
- The Field Guide of Wilderness Medicine & Rescue
- SOAP Notebook
- The Outward Bound Wilderness First-Aid Handbook
- Wilderness Advanced First Aid Class Notes
For the practicum outdoor training, please prepare for any weather conditions.
Students can use their own outdoor gear so as to be familiar with the equipment that will be available to them in a real world first aid situation.
Things to bring:
- Comfortable clothing
- Weatherproof outerwear for the outdoors portion of the course. Please check the weather forecast each day and dress appropriately.
- Pen/pencil and notebook (recommended)
- First Aid/Guide’s pack if you have one
Participants' knowledge and skills are assessed throughout the training through review sessions, tests and exams, and ongoing evaluation of skill acquisition. Participants' knowledge and skills are also assessed on the last day of training through a multiple-choice and practical exam.
The certificate is valid for three years. SIRIUSMEDx issues a digital certification recognizing your knowledge.
Click HERE for the full Course Curriculum