Intro to Backcountry Ski & Splitboarding
Per Person: $149
Private (up to 6 People): $649
Safety and learning are the focus, plus getting into some gorgeous untracked snow!
Duration: 1 Day
Have you been wanting to try backcountry skiing or snowboarding? Spend a day with one of our patient, professional guides and learn to enjoy the backcountry. No backcountry experience is required to do the Intro to Backcountry Skiing and Splitboarding.
ADVENTURE DETAILS BELOW...
MAKE A BOOKING
Dates coming soon…
- Tour Location: This tour uses the lift system of Whistler Blackcomb and you will require a pass. If you do not have a season pass (Unlimited/Epic) or an Edge Card, you can purchase a Backcountry Ticket at checkout.
This is a fun and educational day in the backcountry adjacent to Whistler Blackcomb. Among the many skills you will be introduced to are basic avalanche rescue, terrain analysis, track setting, uphill and downhill skiing technique, route finding, tree skiing and trip planning. We spend a full day skiing and riding while covering uphill and downhill skills in powder, equipment use and safety awareness.
There is no better place in the world to learn backcountry skiing than Whistler and our guides will ensure you have an enjoyable and educational day. This is a must-do tour to complete your stay in Whistler.
- Avalanche safety equipment is not included (transceiver, shovel, probe)
- Touring skis/splitboard required.
- Geared for beginner skiers or snowboarders looking at getting into backcountry travel. For those with backcountry experience we reccomend booking Whistler Backcountry Ski & Splitboard Tour.
- Participants must be comfortable and confident in intermediate terrain [blue runs] in a variety of snow conditions. If you are unsure of your ability, please contact us for more information.
- Groups can expect 2 – 4 runs for the day, depending on ability and fitness level
- Transportation is not included.
Meet guide at 8:15am at the Escape Route Alpine Demo Centre.
The guide will get everyone to sign a waiver and perform a gear check before a trip briefing on safety and the day’s objectives.
Take Whistler or Blackcomb Lifts read to start day:
- Equipment setup boots, skins and ski’s/board for touring
- Trailhead procedures with transceiver
- Companion rescue review
- How to efficiently walk up hill in touring mode
- Terrain choice and limitations depending on hazards
Uphill terrain selection and track-setting:
- Safe terrain selection and efficient uptrack.
- How to evaluate a slope
- Maintain situational awareness
Downhill safe terrain choice and technique:
- Use Slope Avlauator to choose a run appropriate to conditions.
- Efficient transition from touring to skiing mode. Care of skins, transition routine.
- How to best ski the run
- Where and when to regroup safely
The day will finish at approximately 4:30pm with a debrief at the Escape Route Alpine Demo Centre. The guide will also suggest what to do next to further your backcountry knowledge and abilities.
If you require rentals or need to purchase equipment, we have teamed up with the experts at the Escape Route Alpine Demo Centre. Follow the link HERE to purchase or rent gear for this course!
- Touring skis / splitboard and skins
- Avalanche safety equipment (transceiver, shovel, probe)
- Ski / snowboard boots (your regular boots will work with the touring bindings)
- Lift pass
- Weatherproof shell jacket and pants – dress for a day in the alpine
- Warm layers (fleece or puffy jacket)
- Thermal under layer
- Winter hat/toque
- Goggles and/or sunglasses
- Water (1 litre)
- Lunch and snacks
Avalanche Skills Training 1
Industry leading Avalanche Skills Training course that introduces the fundamentals critical to safe backcountry travel.
Whistler Backcountry Ski & Splitboard Tour
Enjoy the backcountry terrain beyond the Whistler Blackcomb ski area boundaries. Start your day with a lift assist, then leave those lift lines behind.