Per Person: $950
The Leadership program is focussed on building a students guiding and leadership skills. When combined with the Passion to Leadership program, or if you already have a large amount of backcountry experience, this program produces students that are ready to take the next step to becoming an ACMG guide.
MAKE A BOOKING
This expert program runs over 6 full days and is the final program in the MSAA Academy Series.
How to Book: Please read through each course under the Curriculum tab and let us know your preferred dates when booking. If you do not know the best schedule for you an MSAA member will be in contact once you have booked to lend a hand.
The Leadership program is the final piece in the puzzle within the MSAA Academy Series. Ideally, students will have already completed the Passion to Leadership program, or have a high level of personal experience, reviewed by MSAA upon registration with the program.
The Leadership program is comprised of:
- Expert Courses and Workshops: Learn advanced skills, for students serious about their leadership capabilities.
- Lead Tours: To fully develop students’ range of experience, guides will encourage student to take the lead on tours with other MSAA clients.
- Structured Practice: Sessions to continue developing students’ skills and performance to the highest level.
- Expert Clinics: Refine leadership skills. Guides will give personalized tips and constructive feedback to enhance students’ technique and performance.
- Expedition: To fully develop the skills you have learnt throughout this program students will join an expedition such as the Spearhead Traverse. During this the guide will give you a leadership role within the group and this will then be evaluated at the end of the tour. *unlike other program the expedition is included within the price of this program.
- Exclusive Discounts: All Academy Members will receive a 15% discount on any MSAA Course/Tour.
- Tour/Course Filler: All Academy Members wil be added to a list will allows them to access last minute trip filler discounts up to 50% OFF! **discount is only valid for the winter season (November - April)
At the start of every day the guide will have everyone sign a waiver before discussing the current weather and the day's objectives and perform a gear check. Each day will end at approximately 4:30pm with a debrief of the day and discussion of the next day's objectives.
Day 1: Expert Backcountry Clinic. Meet guide at 8:15am at the Escape Route Alpine Demo Centre.
Day 2: Ski Mountaineering. Meet the guide at 8:15am at the Escape Route Alpine Demo Centrel.
Day 3: Ski Mountaineering. Meet the guide at 8:15am at the Escape Route Alpine Demo Centre.
Day 4-6: Expedition. Meet the guide at 8:15am at the Escape Route Alpine Demo Centre.
We recommend that all student purchase the required equipment below before starting this program. We have teamed up with the experts at the Escape Route Alpine Demo Centre. Follow the link HERE to purchase or rent gear for this program!
Clothing (Dress appropriately for the conditions):
- Weatherproof shell jacket and pants
- Down or synthetic insulated jacket
- Mid layer fleece top
- Insulating top and bottom under layers and socks
- Warm hat/toque and balaclava
- 2 pairs of gloves
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Touring skis or splitboard and skins
- Poles (telescopic poles required for splitboarders)
- Ski / snowboard boots
- 32L pack
- Water bottle(s) (Minimum 1L capacity)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen
- Goggles & Helmet
- Blister kit/First Aid
- Avalanche safety kit (Probe Shovel, Tranceiver)
- Light Sleeping Bag
- Sleeping Pad
- 45L pack
- Headlamp with fresh batteries
- Personal Care Kit (toilet paper, toothbrush/toothpaste, personal medical drugs)
Below is the full curriculum for this program. If students would like to add additional products to their curriculum this can be indicated to the MSAA team after booking.
If for some reason you have already taken one of the products below we can swap it out for another product of the same value.
- Expert Backcountry Clinic
- Ski Mountaineering Course
- Expedition: to apply everything students have learned, and allow them to practice decision-making. Students will develop an expedition plan and itinerary (vetted by a guide), contingency plans, and emergency/safety protocol. *This is the only part of this program that MSAA will have to arrange the date for the rest is up to you!