THE LEADERSHIP PROGRAM IS FOCUSSED ON BUILDING A STUDENTS GUIDING AND LEADERSHIP SKILLS.
The Leadership program is focused on guiding and leadership skills building. It produces self-sufficient outdoor leaders. When combined with the Passion to Leadership program or an already high personal ski/ride level, produces students that are ready to take the next step to become a guide.
The Leadership program is comprised of:
- Advanced Courses and Workshops: Learn advanced skills for students serious about their craft.
- Trips: Join one of MSAA's professional guides in the backcountry. To fully develop students’ range of experience, we recommend each Academy student to join at least one backcountry tour or trip.
- Structured Practice: These sessions aim to continue developing students’ skills and performance to the highest level. This will be something the guide will recommend students completing in their personal time.
- Performance Clinics: Refine personal skills. Guides will give personalized tips and constructive feedback to enhance students’ technique and performance.
- Expedition: To fully develop the skills you have learnt throughout this program we recommend each student joins an additional expedition. During this the guide will give you a leadership role within the group and this will then be evaluated at the end of the tour. *This is not included within the price of the program but Academy members will be given an exculsive discounted rate.
- Exclusive Discounts: All Academy Members will receive a 15% discount on any MSAA Course/Tour. **cannot be applied to First Aid Courses or Luxury Tours.
- Tour/Course Filler: All Academy Members will be added to a list which allows them to access last minute trip filler discounts up to 50% OFF! **discount is only valid for the winter season (November - April)
At the start of every day the guide will have everyone sign a waiver before discussing the current weather and the day's objectives and perform a gear check. Each day will end at approximately 4:30pm with a debrief of the day and discussion of the next day's objectives.
Day 1-2: Ski Mountaineering
Day 3: Advanced Crevasse Rescue
If you require rentals we have teamed up with local rental companies to provide discounted rentals. Visit our rental page HERE for more information!
Clothing (Dress appropriately for the conditions):
- Weatherproof shell jacket and pants
- Down or synthetic insulated jacket
- Mid layer fleece top
- Insulating top and bottom under layers and socks
- Warm hat/toque and balaclava
- 2 pairs of gloves
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Touring skis or splitboard and skins
- Poles (telescopic poles required for splitboarders)
- Ski / snowboard boots
- 32L pack
- Water bottle(s) (Minimum 1L capacity)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen
- Goggles & Helmet
- Blister kit/First Aid
- Avalanche safety kit (Probe Shovel, Tranceiver)
Addtional Equipment for overnight trip:
- Light Sleeping Bag
- Sleeping Pad
- 45L pack
- Headlamp with fresh batteries
- Personal Care Kit (toilet paper, toothbrush/toothpaste, personal medical drugs)
Below is the full curriculum for this program. If students would like to add additional products to their curriculum this can be indicated to the MSAA team after booking.
If for some reason you have already taken one of the products below we can swap it out for another product of the same value.
- Ski Mountaineering
- Advanced Crevasse Rescue
- Expedition: To fully develop the skills you have learnt throughout this program we recommend each student joins an addtional trip. During this trip the guide will give you a leadership role within the group and this will then be evaluated at the end of the trip. *This is not included within the price of the program but Academy members will be given an exculsive discounted rate.
The important details:
Season: Dec – Apr
Duration: 3 Days
Max Ratio: Course depending
Prerequisites: AST 2 & Crevasse Rescue within the past 2 years / Advanced – Expert Ski/Board Level
Price: $609/per person
How to Book: Please read through each course under the Curriculum tab and let us know your preferred dates when booking. If you do not know the best schedule for you an MSAA member will be in contact once you have booked to lend a hand.
Challenge yourself with a Spearhead Traverse ski tour in the backcountry of Whistler! Travel and camp across 13 glaciers all above 2,000 metres.
HELI-ACCESSED SKI TOURING
You and your friends start the day with a heli-accessed drop, then continue touring for the rest of the day.