USE YOUR SKIS TO ADVENTURE FURTHER THAN EVER BEFORE!
The first day is an intensive skills day where we introduce ski mountaineering techniques and skills. The second day is spent ski mountaineering. Each day skills will be practiced and fine-tuned.
At course completion, participants will have an excellent foundation for ski mountaineering.
Ski mountaineering is both an alpine and backcountry ski activity. Guaranteeing our course participants the highest level of expertise, only fully certified IFMGA/ACMG Mountain and Ski Guides teach this course.
Lift Ticket: If you do NOT currently possess a valid Whistler Blackcomb lift ticket (Seasons Pass, Spirit Pass, Edge Card, Epic Pass, etc.), you may buy a Lift Ticket through our office at checkout.
**All Courses subject to a minimum number of participants. 48 hour notice will be given if the minimum number has not been reached.
Day 1: Meet the guide at 8:30am next to the Escape Route Alpine Demo Centre. The guide have everyone sign a waiver before leading a discussion about the current weather and avalanche conditions, the day's objectives, and perform an equipment check. The group will then head up the mountain.
The day will end at approximately 4:30pm with a debrief of the day as well as a lesson on how to create a ski mountaineering route plan as well as a discussion on the next day’s weather, avalanche forecasts and mountain conditions.
Day 2: Meet the guide at 8:30am next to the Escape Route Alpine Demo Centre. The guide have everyone sign a waiver before leading a discussion about the current weather and avalanche conditions, the day's objectives, and perform an equipment check. The group will then head up the mountain.
The day will end at approximately 4:30pm with a debrief of the day, a course debrief, a Question and Answer and discussion of the next steps for all students.
If you require rentals we have teamed up with local rental companies to provide discounted rentals. Visit our rental page HERE for more information!
- Insulated top and bottom under layers and socks
- Mid layer fleece top
- Weatherproof shell jacket and pants
- Warm hat, optional balaclava or neck tube
- 2 pairs of gloves, optional mittens
- Goggles, sunglasses and sunscreen
- Touring skis / splitboard, skins & Poles
- Lift Tickets (Day 1 & 2)
- Ski Crampons (condtion dependent)
- Avalanche Safety Kit (probe, transceiver, shovel)
- Mountaineering Axe
- Crevasse Rescue Kit
- 3 locking carabiners
- 4 non-locking carabiners (ideally munter or pear-shaped)
- 2 x 5m 7mm prussik
- 1 auto-block device (ATC Guide)
- 1 double length sling
- 1 x 22cm ice screw (optional)
- 0.5m personal prussik
- 50 meter ski touring rope (optional)
- Minimal alpine rock rack; 2-3 cams, 3-4 stoppers- 4 shoulder length draws (optional)
- Rite in the Rain notebook and mechanical pencil
- First aid kit with blister kit
- Glop stopper (condtion dependent)
- Ski scraper
- Map, compass, GPS, laptop computer (all optional)
- Introduction to ski mountaineering equipment
- Belaying and rappelling, anchors
- Ski mountaineering objective
- Glacier travel & alpine hazard evaluation
- “Survival skiing” technique
Click HERE for the full curriculum
The important details:
Season: Dec – Apr
Duration: 2 Days (8:30am – 4:30pm)
Max Ratio: 6 Clients to 1 Guide
Prerequisites: AST1, Backcountry Experience, Crevasse Rescue is an asset
Price: $349/per person | $1899/private (up to 6ppl)
Request Alternative Dates:
Have a date in mind that is not available to book? Request an alternative date and if we have more than 4 participants interested we will open the date.
Challenge yourself with a Spearhead Traverse ski tour in the backcountry of Whistler! Travel and camp across 13 glaciers all above 2,000 metres.
EXPERT BACKCOUNTRY CLINIC
This clinic is designed to perfect crevasse rescue, snowpack testing and companion rescue to the expert level.