Mt. Meager Backcountry basecamp expedition
We call it Lil' Alaska - Big glaciers, high peaks, long runs and a deep snowpack!
3 nights / 4 days guided backcountry trips in April 2022. This remote heli-accessed basecamp is strategically placed amongst the giants of a glaciated volcanic complex. It holds some of the raddest terrain and best snow on the coast . The base camp consists of larger communal mess tents for cooking, storage and drying and small group sleeping tents.
The Meager Volcanic complex lies 150 km North of Vancouver and offers big mountain skiing in a dramatic alpine setting. There are 6 main peaks, the highest at 2680 meters which are surrounded by 7 glaciers. The peaks are festooned with long slopes, both steep and moderate, spines, ridges, couloirs and big faces that provide an alpine playground second to none, hence the nickname Lil' Alaska.
Tourers will venture forth from basecamp each day to explore the myriad of possibilities. The area also has interesting a breathtaking geography and geology with active volcanic fumaroles, strangely colored rock and sharp granite spires. Groups consist of 2 guides with a group of 4-5 guests each.
The trip cost includes:
- Helicopter access
- Guiding fees
- Group camp equipment (tents, first aid, cooking stove, cooking fuel, pots, utensils)
- Group expedition equipment: Rope, In-Reach, Maps, Sat Phone, repair equipment
The trip cost DOES NOT include:
- Ground transportation to staging area
- Avalanche safety equipment (transceiver, shovel, probe)
- Touring equipment (backpack, skis/splitboard, boots, skins, poles)
- Personal camping equipment ( sleeping bag, sleeping mat, clothing, toiletries, wet wipes, toilet paper, hand sanitizer)
- Food - Can be catered (please contact us for more information)
Day 1 - 4
- 06:30 Group 1 meets their guide in Pemberton for conditions, weather briefing and gear check. Then loads shuttle and departs for staging.
- 07:00 Group 2 meets at Whistler Heli Port. Meet your guide for conditions, weather briefing and gear check.
- 07:30 Group 2 flies out to basecamp
- 08:00 Group 2 flies out of staging
- Participants settle into camp and prepare to enjoy their discovery of this amazing place.
- On the last morning, groups prepare to leave in the reverse order from the flights in.
If you require rentals we have teamed up with local rental companies to provide discounted rentals. Visit our rental page HERE for more information!
- Touring skis / splitboard and skins
- Poles (telescopic poles required for splitboarders)
- Ski / snowboard boots
- Ski Crampons
- 45L + pack
- Sleeping Bag + Pad
- Goggles & Helmet
- Harness & two locking carabiners
- Crevasse Rescue Kit (if you know how to use it, if not bring two locking carabiners)
- Ice Axe
- Headlamp with fresh batteries
- Avalanche safey kit
A full equipment list will be sent to you prior to this basecamp expedition.
The important details:
Duration: 4 Days/3 Nights
Max Ratio: 5 Clients to 1 Guide
Prerequisites: Very Good Fitness & Touring Experience
Price: $1622/per person
Book a Private expedition and have a guide to yourself:
CUSTOM OVERNIGHT HUT TRIP
Stop skiing in other people’s tracks and head deep into the backcountry!
Challenge yourself with a Spearhead Traverse ski tour in the backcountry of Whistler!