AVALANCHE SKILLS REFRESHER
JOIN US FOR AN ADDITIONAL DAY OF AVALANCHE SKILLS TRAINING IN THE BACKCOUNTRY!
AVALANCHE SKILLS REFRESHER
If it’s been a while since you took AST1, or you’re just looking for a chance to sharpen some key skills before your next adventure, an Avalanche Skills Refresher is your opportunity to join an AST1 class’ field day.
Start the day with pre-trip planning, and spend the rest practicing all the techniques you need to be a great teammate in the backcountry: route finding, terrain assessment, snow stability observations and companion rescue.
As a student with some AST experience, you will have the chance to demonstrate skills and to step into a leadership role during scenarios and practice.
If you have taken AST1 or an Avalanche Skills Refresher and want to continue your backcountry education, a Foundation Clinic or AST2 is the next step. Call our office to discuss the best options!
- AST1 is a prerequisite
- Touring skis/splitboard required. Rentals available.
- Lift ticket required (discounted lift ticket available through our office)
- Geared for intermediate, advanced and expert skiers or snowboarders
- Participants must be comfortable and confident in intermediate terrain [blue runs] in a variety of snow conditions. If you are unsure of your ability, please contact us for more information.
- Geared for those who want to explore the backcountry further
Lift Ticket: If you do NOT currently possess a valid Whistler Blackcomb lift ticket (Seasons Pass, Spirit Pass, Edge Card, Epic Pass, etc.), you may buy a Lift Ticket through our office at checkout.**All Courses subject to a minimum number of participants. 48 hour notice will be given if the minimum number has not been reached.
Field Day - 8:30am - 4:30pm
The guide will lead a short briefing (discussing current conditions and weather) and have everyone perform a gear check. From there you will head up the mountain. The day will end at approximately 4:30pm with a quick debrief and discussion of what steps you can take after your this course.
MSAA Loyalty Program: Following the AST-1 Course all students will be added to the MSAA loyalty program. All students will receive a 10% discount on any future course with MSAA. Following the AST-1 Course we reccomend all students take the AST-2 course within the next 1-2 seasons. For more information contact our office.
If you require rentals we have teamed up with local rental companies to provide discounted rentals. Visit our rental page HERE for more information!
- Weatherproof shell jacket and pants
- Down or synthetic insulated jacket
- Mid layer fleece top
- Insulating top and bottom under layers and socks
- Warm hat/toque and balaclava
- 2 pairs of gloves
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Lift Pass (If you do not have a season pass or Epic Pass or Edge Card, you can purchase a backcountry ticket from MSAA for $59)
- Backpack-25-35 Litres
- Alpine touring skis/splitboard, skins, bindings, and boots
- Avalanche Safety Kit (transceiver, shovel, probe)
- First Aid Kit with blister kit
- Rite in the Rain notebook and pencil (optional)
- Map, compass, GPS (optional)
- Lunch, snacks, and water
- Trip planning
- Trailhead procedures
- Companion rescue
- Situational awareness
- Terrain selection and travel techniques
- Snowpack and/or avalanche observations
- Snowpack tests
- Avalanche terrain descent
The important details:
Season: Nov – Apr
Duration: 1 Day (8:30am – 4:30pm)
Location: Whistler & Sea to Sky
Max Ratio: 8 Clients to 1 Guide
Prerequisites: AST 1
Price: $159/per person
ADVANCED BACKCOUNTRY CLINIC
The one-day clinic allows participants adequate time to develop autonomous leadership through learning and implementing critical strategies…
Avalanche Skills Training 2
Our Avalanche Skills Training Level 2 course teaches managing and mitigating avalanche and mountain hazards.