AVALANCHE SKILLS REFRESHER
JOIN US FOR AN ADDITIONAL DAY OF AVALANCHE SKILLS TRAINING IN THE BACKCOUNTRY!
AVALANCHE SKILLS REFRESHER
Bring your fundamental travel, rescue, and risk management skills back up to speed with our professional guides. MSAA works closely with Avalanche Canada to develop, refine, and deliver the best and most current avalanche training available.
Book online or contact our office to ask any questions: 1-604-938-9242 or firstname.lastname@example.org
If it’s been a while since you took AST1, or you’re just looking for a chance to sharpen some key skills before your next adventure, an Avalanche Skills Refresher is your opportunity to join an AST1 class’ field day.
Start the day with pre-trip planning, and spend the rest practicing all the techniques you need to be a great teammate in the backcountry: route finding, terrain assessment, snow stability observations and companion rescue.
As a student with some AST experience, you will have the chance to demonstrate skills and to step into a leadership role during scenarios and practice.
If you have taken AST1 or an Avalanche Skills Refresher and want to continue your backcountry education, a Foundation Clinic or AST2 is the next step. Call our office to discuss the best options!
- AST1 is a prerequisite
- Touring skis/splitboard required. Rentals available.
- Lift ticket required (discounted lift ticket available through our office)
- Geared for intermediate, advanced and expert skiers or snowboarders
- Participants must be comfortable and confident in intermediate terrain [blue runs] in a variety of snow conditions. If you are unsure of your ability, please contact us for more information.
- Geared for those who want to explore the backcountry further
Lift Ticket: If you do NOT currently possess a valid Whistler Blackcomb lift ticket (Seasons Pass, Spirit Pass, Edge Card, Epic Pass, etc.), you may buy a Lift Ticket through our office at checkout.**All Courses subject to a minimum number of participants. 48 hour notice will be given if the minimum number has not been reached.
Field Day - 8:30am - 4:30pm
The guide will lead a short briefing (discussing current conditions and weather) and have everyone perform a gear check. From there you will head up the mountain. The day will end at approximately 4:30pm with a quick debrief and discussion of what steps you can take after your this course.
MSAA Loyalty Program: Following the AST-1 Course all students will be added to the MSAA loyalty program. All students will receive a 10% discount on any future course with MSAA. Following the AST-1 Course we reccomend all students take the AST-2 course within the next 1-2 seasons. For more information contact our office.
If you require rentals we have teamed up with local rental companies to provide discounted rentals. Visit our rental page HERE for more information!
- Weatherproof shell jacket and pants
- Down or synthetic insulated jacket
- Mid layer fleece top
- Insulating top and bottom under layers and socks
- Warm hat/toque and balaclava
- 2 pairs of gloves
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Lift Pass (If you do not have a season pass or Epic Pass or Edge Card, you can purchase a backcountry ticket from MSAA for $59)
- Backpack-25-35 Litres
- Alpine touring skis/splitboard, skins, bindings, and boots
- Avalanche Safety Kit (transceiver, shovel, probe)
- First Aid Kit with blister kit
- Rite in the Rain notebook and pencil (optional)
- Map, compass, GPS (optional)
- Lunch, snacks, and water
- Trip planning
- Trailhead procedures
- Companion rescue
- Situational awareness
- Terrain selection and travel techniques
- Snowpack and/or avalanche observations
- Snowpack tests
- Avalanche terrain descent
The important details:
Season: Nov – Apr
Duration: 1 Day (8:30am – 4:30pm)
Location: Whistler & Sea to Sky
Max Ratio: 8 Clients to 1 Guide
Prerequisites: AST 1
Price: $159/per person
ADVANCED BACKCOUNTRY CLINIC
The one-day clinic allows participants adequate time to develop autonomous leadership through learning and implementing critical strategies…
Avalanche Skills Training 2
Our Avalanche Skills Training Level 2 course teaches managing and mitigating avalanche and mountain hazards.