Blackcomb buttress Ascent
TAKE IN THE INCREDIBLE VIEWS OF HOWE SOUND AND SQUAMISH FROM THE PEAK OF MOUNT HABRICH!
Spend the day with one of our Professional ACMG guide to guide you to the top of Blackcomb Peak via the classic Blackcomb Buttress route! We use the Whistler Blackcomb gondolas to start the tour and then hike and scramble to the base of the peak to start the Accent.
Read our blog post HERE for a first hand account of this epic adventure!
The approach is made easy by using the Whistler Blackcomb ski lifts and a hike to the base of the peak. One of our most popular rock climbing tours! The Buttress provides a mix of scrambling, and low fifth class roped climbing with short cruxes on beautifully featured rock and generous ledges for belays.
Exposure increases as the Buttress narrows the higher you climb ranging up to 5.7 difficulty. This climb is a great introduction to Alpine climb and perfect for beginner climbers. You do not need to be an experienced rock climber or mountaineer to tackle this climb! This tour is an excellent one-day activity to round out anyone’s summer visit to Whistler or to see Whistler from a new perspective.
- Good fitness and agility is recommended.
- All climbing gear is included, although it is encouraged to use your own if you have it.
- Suitable for most youth 15 and up.
**The price of the tour does not include a gondola ticket. Gondola tickets are available for purchase through our office.**
Meeting Location: Meet your guide for an early start at the Escape Route Alpine Demo Centre in the village.
- Meet your guide outside the ADC for a morning meeting to discuss the outlook for the day. Here, you will also grab all your climbing gear and sign waivers.
- Take the Blackcomb Gondola and hike to the base of the route.
- Complete the epic climb!
- Take the Blackcomb Gondola back to the village
- Debrief with your guide and discuss the day!
Mountain Skills Academy & Adventures supplies the following items:
- Satellite Phone / Spot / Radio
- Climbing Rack
Guests should bring:
- 35-45 litre pack
- Walking pole (optional)
- Glacier axe
- 2 Locking carabiner
- 1 double length sling
- Glacier Travel Kit (if you know how to use it)
- Clothing – base layers, insulating layer (synthetic or wool. Cotton is not recommended) and shell layer (Gore-Tex or similar)
- Spare base layer and socks
- Warm gloves & spare gloves
- Warm hat
- Sunglasses, sunscreen/lip balm
- Water bottle – thermos recommended for hot beverage
- Personal medications
- Blister kit (second skin or similar)
- Lunch and snacks
At the top of the gondola you will be in an alpine mountain environment where weather and conditions can change fast – it is best to be prepared with extra clothing layers.
The important details:
Season: Jul – Sep
Duration: 1 Day (8:30am – 4:30pm)
Max Ratio: 2 Clients to 1 Guide
Prerequisites: Previous mountaineering or climbing experience
Price: Starting From: $749
On this tour, guests will stay at the Jim Haberl Hut in the high alpine, giving you access to the finest routes in the range.
Intro to Multi-Pitch Climbing
Looking to move on from single-pitch and climb higher?