Rock Climbing Starter
The quintessential beginner’s rock climbing course!
Rock Climbing Starter
Under the tutelage of expert ACMG certified guides who utilize MSAA’s cutting-edge curriculum. Participants will be introduced to this amazing sport in Canada’s top rock climbing destination, Squamish, BC.
The goal of the course is to provide every participant with a safe and reliable climbing system as well as to coach the development of their climbing technique. Obtaining this definitive foundation not only provides participants with the ability to safely and rapidly progress. It provides the requisite skills to straight away climb with other trained climbers both outdoors or indoors and serves as basis for pursuing all other climbing progression courses.
- Climbing equipment and its use
- Climbing safety and hazard management
- Belaying and safely tying into the rope
- Rock climbing terminology and commands
- Rock climbing movement skills
- Rope management
- Rappelling skills
- Route selection and climbing grades
No experience is necessary. All equipment is included and by all means use your own equipment if you own it or take advantage of our unbeatable equipment packages (See MSAA Value Added)
Enjoying it so much you wish to upgrade to a full day? No worries. Bundle one or more rock climbing progression courses to really get trained up and save.
Once registered course participants will have immediate access to MSAA Value Added - Free Tech Clinics, Annual Safety Refreshers, Lowest priced quality equipment packages, regular Prize Draws and of course the very best service – guaranteed.
8:15am: Meet your guide at Squamish Adventure Centre.
The guide will have everyone sign a waiver before having a safety discussion and performing a gear check. They will then discuss the day's objectives and lesson plan.
4:30pm: The day will end at approximately 4:30pm with a debrief, discussion of the course and next step recommendations.
All climbing equipment is included. Feel free to use your own or you may wish to take advantage of our unbeatably priced equipment packages.
*Important! Please ensure to provide us with your waist and shoe size if you require the use of our climbing equipment. This will be asked during checkout.
- Climbing pants (light pants that allow maximum mobility)
- Tee shirt
- 2 Mid layer fleece or wool top
- Weatherproof shell jacket
- Down or synthetic insulating “puffy” jacket – condition dependent
- Warm hat – condition dependent
- Light gloves – condition dependent
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Approach shoes/hiking shoes
- Daypack 25-35L
Rock Climbing Equipment – Included
- *Rock climbing shoe
- Locking carabiner
- Belay device
- Chalk bag
MSAA is proud of its cutting-edge curriculum. MSAA curriculum and the progressive nature of our courses have been carefully crafted and designed by IFMGA Mountain Guides. We have been doing this for over 30 years, always building and perfecting our world class program.
- We will teach you climbing equipment and its uses
- We will discuss rock climbing safety and hazard management
- You will learn several critical knots
- We will teach you how to safely tie into the rope
- We will teach you how to safely belay with different devices, a critical skill.
- You will learn all about rock climbing terminology and commands
- We will teach you the best rock climbing movement skills as well as coach you on these so that you may progress not only throughout the day, but forever more.
- You will learn good rope management
- We will teach you how to safely rappel. A critical skill.
- You will learn all about climbing grades and how to select your own routes.
The important details:
Season: May – October
Duration: Half Day (4 hours)
Max Ratio: 6 Clients to 1 Guide
Price: $99/per person
INTRO TO OUTDOOR ROCK CLIMBING – 1 DAY
This course is designed to provide students with a safe and reliable system to rock climb outdoor with confidence.
INTRO TO OUTDOOR ROCK CLIMBING – 2 DAY
The ultimate 2 day, fully comprehensive intro to outdoor rock climbing & lead climbing.