MOUNTAIN SUPER PROGRAM
RECOMMENDED FOR PARTICIPANTS WHO WISH TO ACQUIRE A COMPLETE MOUNTAINEERING SKILL SET.
MOUNTAIN SUPER PROGRAM
Join one of our Professionally Certified ACMG (Association of Canadian Mountain Guides) guides and let them share their passion for this sport.
Visit our Guides Page to find out more about your guide.
Book online or contact our office to ask any questions: 1-604-938-9242 or firstname.lastname@example.org
This is a fully comprehensive program recommended for participants who wish to acquire a complete skill set in order to be self-sufficient in all mountaineering mediums – snow, ice, rock and mixed terrain.
The course is broken up into 6 technical skills days and 2 mountaineering days. One of these is a technical snow and ice objective, while the other is an alpine rock focused mountaineering day.
Skills covered include: Movement on snow, ice and rock, glacier travel, crevasse rescue, anchor building, terrain belays, route finding, track setting, hazard mitigation, weather forecasting, conditions assessment, navigation and route planning.
Participants will apply all of the skills learned throughout the week to safely ascend a challenging alpine rock or mixed climbing objective. Guides will help coach and direct on all group decisions. The objectives will involve multi-pitch rock and ice/snow, often with a glacier approach.
We run this program on Whistler/Blackcomb, utilizing their lift system to access Whistler Bowl, Horstman Glacier and other areas. The proximity afforded by Whistler Blackcomb is a huge benefit. Not only do we avoid a long, arduous approach and the (very) early starts, it provides the perfect terrains needed for this course.
- Exclusive Discounts: All Academy Members will receive a 15% discount on any MSAA Course/Tour.
- Tour/Course Filler: All Academy Members wil be added to a list will allows them to access last minute trip filler discounts up to 50% OFF!
This program runs over 8 full days and can be taken over the course of 4 weeks - 4 months. You design the perfect calendar to work around your plans! See monthly schedules below.
July - If you'd like to take the 6-day course back-to-back, we have an option from July 1-6.
Weather conditions are constantly changing in the Canadian alpine. Be prepared for both hot or cold days and even rain. There are several rain protected climbing venues we endeavour to utilize but it is essential that you pack enough clothing to be prepared for any weather conditions. So please dress according to the forecast for the course days and pack clothes for varying conditions.
We recommend the following:
- Head lamp with extra batteries
- Soft shell type climbing pants
- Insulating top and bottom under-layers and socks
- Synthetic or wool t-shirt
- Mid layer fleece top
- Weatherproof shell jacket
- Down or synthetic insulated “puffy” jacket
- Warm hat and ballcap
- Warm mountain or ice climbing gloves
- Light gloves
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Daypack 35-45 L
- A hiking pole is recommended
- Objective’s map, compass, GPS (optional)
- Mountaineering boots
- Mountaineering axe
- Belay device
- 2 x 60m single ropes
- Ice screws
- Snow Picket
- 4 locking carabiners
- 6 non-locking carabiners
- 2 x 5m 7mm prussik
- 1 x 1.5m 7mm prussik
- 2 x 120cm slings
- 6 alpine / trad draws (2 non-locking carabiners and 1 60cm sling = 1 draw)
If you own your own climbing gear we highly recommend that you use it as it is best to be familiar with your own equipment. Please let us know when you register.
Below is the full curriculum for this program. If students would like to add additional products to their curriculum this can be indicated to the MSAA team after booking.
If for some reason you have already taken one of the courses/clinics below, you can swap it out for another product of the same value.
- Summer Crevasse Rescue & Glacier Travel
- Introduction to Basic Mountaineering
- Introduction to Alpine Rock *not included in the 6-day program
- Mountain Navigation
- Trip: To fully develop the skills you have learnt throughout this program, we recommend each student joins an additional guided day. *This is not included within the price of the program, however, Academy members will be given an exclusive discounted rate.
The important details:
Season: Apr – Oct
Duration: 6 or 8 Days
Location: Sea to Sky
Max Ratio: Course depending
6-Day Program – $999 per person
8-Day Program – $1399 per person
How to Book: Please read through each course under the Curriculum tab and let us know your preferred dates when booking. If you do not know the best schedule for you an MSAA member will be in contact once you have booked to lend a hand.
ROCK PROGRESSION PROGRAM
The Rock Climbing Super Course is a 4-day in-depth program in all aspects of rock climbing.
CUSTOM MOUNTAINEERING TRIP
Craving more adventure than the average explorer? Send us a request for your specific objective!